The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has introduced the first set of “standards” for the Indian Space Industry. The catalogue consists of 15 standards, which were developed through collaborative efforts between BIS, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), and the Indian National Space Promotion and Authorisation Centre (IN-SPACe).
The first volume of BIS standards for the Indian space industry was released in 2023. This volume consists of 15 standards, covering a wide range of topics, including:
- Spacecraft design and engineering
- Spacecraft materials and components
- Spacecraft testing and quality assurance
- Launch vehicle design and engineering
- Launch vehicle materials and components
- Launch vehicle testing and quality assurance
- Ground support equipment and infrastructure
- Space operations and management
The catalogue, consisting of 15 standards, is specifically designed for private space players. The initiative aims to enhance efficiency and streamline the processes, technologies used in the industry.— Bureau of Indian Standards (@IndianStandards) September 16, 2023
Catalouge: https://t.co/BR61oMLqOu#ISRO #BIS #isroindia #isroindia #isro🚀
The standards are voluntary, but they are intended to be followed by private players in the Indian space industry. The standards will help to ensure the quality, safety, and reliability of Indian space products and services.
Download PDF: Indian Standards for Space Industry
The introduction of the first set of standards for the Indian space industry is a significant development. It is a sign of the growing maturity of the Indian space sector and its commitment to quality and excellence. The standards will also help to boost India’s global competitiveness in the space sector.
Here are some of the benefits of having standards for the Indian space industry:
- Improved quality and safety of Indian space products and services
- Reduced risk of failures
- Increased reliability of Indian space products and services
- Enhanced global competitiveness of the Indian space sector
- Facilitated trade and cooperation with other countries
I am confident that the introduction of standards for the Indian space industry will play a major role in the growth and development of the sector.